EasyTone Ads are ‘Unique, fun and bold’

I e-mailed Reebok at this address corporate@reebok.com with my concerns about their new campaign for EasyTone shoes, which has the slogan:

88% of men are speechless. 
76% of women jealous.
EasyTone helps you get better legs
and a better butt with every single step.

Apparently Reebok was unconvinced by my opinion. They wrote back the following:

Hello Warren,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  All consumer feedback is helpful, as it provides us with an understanding of the public perception and opinion of our products and marketing. 

The Reebok EasyTone ads were created to clearly illustrate the unique benefits of the footwear in a fun and bold way.  The feedback we have received tells us that many consumers look at the ads in exactly that light, however we acknowledge that some consumers do take exception with the content of the ads.

You can be assured that your feedback will be relayed directly to our marketing team. 

Regards,
Reebok Corporate Communications

and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. beckeck06
    Posted November 15, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

haha, me too!! idiot corporations. they are lying. who emails to say– “great ad guys!” ?
    “Thank you very much for your feedback. All consumer feedback is
    helpful, as it provides us with an understanding of the public
    perception and opinion of our products and marketing.
    The Reebok EasyTone ads were created to clearly illustrate the unique
    benefits of the footwear in a fun and bold way. The feedback we have
    received tells us that many consumers look at the ads in exactly that
    light, however we acknowledge that some consumers do take exception with
    the content of the ads.
    You can be assured that your feedback will be relayed directly to our
    marketing team.
    Regards,
    Reebok Corporate Communications”

2. Tracey T
    Posted November 15, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I don’t think your emails are going to get relayed.
    Also, I think darn near every ounce of feedback they got were complaints about how sexist and ludicrous these ads are. Not to mention demeaning in the sense that they rest on the assumption women only want supportive shoes to improve their buts and legs.
    For goodness sakes, they could at least throw in an athletic aspect.

3. LexiconLuthor
    Posted November 15, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Hey, me too!
    Look at it this way – so many people emailed them in complaint that they had to develop a stock response.
    Fuck reebok. I never liked their crap anyway.

4. Wonderwall
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:39 am | Permalink

My favorite is what was quoted of Kate Harding at Bitch Magazine here: http://bitchmagazine.org/post/dont-want-to-put-on-my-booty-shoes
    “Kate Harding at Broadsheet compares this nasty campaign to the way Nike sells women’s shoes.
    Nike’s far from perfect, of course, but when they used boobs, they belonged to Serena Williams and appeared under her crossed, muscular arms and a high-necked T-shirt that read “Athlete,” with the caption, “Are you looking at my titles?” When they used close-ups on female body parts and copy about how others might perceive them, it was with text like, “My mother worries I will never marry with knees like these. But I know there’s someone out there who will say to me: I love you and I love your knees,” and “My butt is big and that’s just fine. And those who might scorn it are invited to kiss it.” If the new Reebok ads help the company knock Nike out of the top spot, then I’ll admit that they made good business sense (after I’m done sobbing), but as it is, the market leader is the one that uses images of strong women who care more about being athletic than being pretty. The market leader is the one that figured out how to sell a major female fantasy: being treated with at least a modicum of respect by advertisers.”

5. Wonderwall
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:42 am | Permalink
  6. Wonderwall
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:53 am | Permalink
  7. Wonderwall
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I was thinking about that, actually… I would be curious to see how these shoes feel, but after watching the ads, I would worry that I wouldn’t actually be able to do anything in them (like run, frisbee, tennis, what have you…). That all they are good for is walking and making your boobs jealous of your butt.

8. Tracey T
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Yeah, they’ve given me the impression that it would be like doing everything on one of those partial balance ball things. For me, that might actual be really counter-productive and I would only be able to walk in them (I’m not a believe in buying one-purpose shoes), defiantly wouldn’t want to wear them to an aerobics class or a class that already incorporates the balance ball.

9. marcyx
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

“I was just interacting with that woman in a fun and bold way, officer.”

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

182 queries. 0.680 seconds