There are (finally) laws protecting us from things like this…

NOM, the National Organization for Marriage, is at it again.  I posted about one of their demonstrations quite a while ago, but they have been making headlines this summer with their national tour.  Their website boasts of their 23 city voyage as well as all of the “bullying” activists have “inflicted” upon them:

Civil rights????? PLEASE.  This group is clearly just using familiar rhetoric to rile up a jaded sense of “defending the sanctity of marriage,” heck, of America itself. But I ask you, what are the effects of groups like this.  Exhibit A:

Surely the spokespersons for the group would not (publicly) condone murder, but look at what type of mindsets they inspire, cultivate, and give a home to. I say NO MORE! The newly passed Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act now makes it a punishable act to endorse a blatant hate crime. The maker of the sign was kind enough to leave his name, make sure it’s put to good use. Contact Indianapolis law enforcement and demand that this man be brought to justice:

(317) 229-3700

U.S. District Court
Birch Bayh Federal Building and
United States Courthouse
46 East Ohio Street, Room 105
Indianapolis, IN 46204

PS: With all the hate in this world…send someone who needs it your love today

Cross posted at nyaf.blogspot.com

and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted July 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

From the text of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act:

“(4) FREE EXPRESSION.–Nothing in this division shall be construed to allow prosecution based solely upon an individual’s expression of racial, religious, political, or other beliefs or solely upon an individual’s membership in a group advocating or espousing such beliefs.”

A persons past expressions can be used to prove hate of a group to elevate a crime to hate crime status, but the speech alone is not a crime.

2. Posted July 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Seeing that sign, I get a chill through my spine.

The first time I saw it was at Indy Pride last year. I was there, enjoying the festivities, and I just happened to choose a street corner with an older man, blank-faced, staring forward and holding that exact sign. My friends and I were speechless. Outraged. Frightened. We tried to play it off get back to our merriment, laughing at him, which seemed like the best response at the time, but it really shook us.

So to see it on this page, I was shocked. I stopped for a minute and thought, “Do they share their exact signs across the country.” But no, I see now that this is from Indianapolis.

As a born and bred Hoosier (only recently leaving the state) this makes me so…so sad.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

172 queries. 0.658 seconds