Birth Control Use Among Young Adolescents

It’s not a surprise these days that girls first start having sex at a much younger age than their parents. Some girls are as young as eleven. While this might shock some people, it’s reality. So what do you do about it? Do you blame the parents? Or do you find a way to keep them safe and protected? Kids and teens are going to do what they want to do anyways, why not provide them with the opportunity to be safe about it?

Laws regarding young women obtaining birth control without parental consent vary by the state. Most states allow all minors to obtain birth control with no parental consent. Even so, it can still be difficult for adolescents to obtain birth control. Some states are considering offering contraceptives to middle and high school students at health centers at schools. King Middle School in Maine will be the first to offer this. The only type of parental consent that would be needed is permission to use the health center. The health center would also encourage students to talk to their parents and offer them counseling as well as educate them about contraceptive use. Many students are afraid or embarrassed to talk to their parents about sex. This would give them someone to talk to that would give them credible advice, rather than not so credible advice from their friends.

Is this a way to prevent teen pregnancy? I definitely think that it is. Many parents want to believe that their children are not having sex but being in denial does not help the situation. If teens are having sex, they need to have the proper education to protect themselves. The less education they have, the more likely they are to contract a sexually transmitted disease or get pregnant. Offering contraceptives to students who are already having sex anyway would greatly help them make smarter choices and prevent unplanned pregnancies or sexually transmitted diseases.

References

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/18/national/main3379737.shtml

http://www.contracept.org/minorsaccess.php

and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted October 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I think along with teaching kids about safe sex and abstinence and their pros and cons, I am thinking that teaching kids about the joys of masturbation is the way to go, think abstinence but with orgasms. Because masturbation is the safest sex you can have, can’t get pregnant, STDs, or get raped. It can be done in the comfort of your own home and look ma, no condoms!

2. Posted October 5, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Actually, the average age of first intercourse hasn’t changed much over the years. Maybe its just talked about a little more now, but there were eleven year olds having sex in my parent’ day too.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Subscribe

• Subscribe

• Meet Us

169 queries. 1.764 seconds