Women’s Tattoos and Piercings

Hi everyone,

In my Women’s Studies class, I am working on a project on the tattoos, piercings, and body modifications in general of women. I need to poll both women and men about their body modifications. I’d appreciate it if anyone here would answer the following questions:

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have?
2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide?
3. What is their content?
4. Why did you get them?
5. What is their meaning to you?
6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you?

7. Do you identify as male or female?

Thank you!

and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

20 Comments

1. Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? 2 tattoos

2. Where are they located? Right shoulder blade and right calf

Are they easy to hide? Relatively, when I want them hidden they are hidden, but most times they aren’t (I live in a warm climate.)

3. What is their content? One says 1919, with a design and the other says “The Way of the Leaves” and has three leaves.

4. Why did you get them? Well, I wanted to. They both have meaning, but it was really that I wanted a tattoo first and then later decided what would be meaningful.

1919= the year my grandmother was born. She’s the single most influential person in my up bringing and I’m going to live my life in a way that honors her. That year the 19th amendment was passed in congress which granted women the right to vote [which wasn't made into law until the 50 states ratified it in 1920]. I’m never gonna forget that my grandmother was the first generation of American women to have the right to vote her whole life. Not really that long ago when you think about it like that.

The Way of the Leaves is the title of the song my partner wrote for me.

6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you?
    Professionally, I’m not sure, for certain because no one has said anything negative. I got both of them while working various professional jobs and since they are easily hidden no one seems to care. Most people think they are cool or ask what they mean. My friends supported the decision and went with me to both. My older family members don’t really like tattoos, but haven’t given me any trouble about them.

7. Do you identify as male or female? Female

2. Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I’m always interested in things like this. :)

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? I have nine piercings!
    2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? They are located – my two earlobes, two in my left nostril, my septum, right side of my bottom lip, my nipples, and my clitoral hood. — They are easy to hide… sometimes. The nipple and clitoral hood ones, yes. The others are sort of out there.
    3. What is their content? Jewelry.
    4. Why did you get them? …A lot of reasons. :) I like body modification.
    5. What is their meaning to you? Nothing too deep. It’s some self-expression!
    6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? In every way. I’m almost always asked to take them out for jobs, which I’m not comfortable doing. My grandparents think it’s some kind of silly phase. Others catcall to me about Hallowe’en or this and that. Some people think I’m hardcore, whatever that means. My mom thinks I’m radical. — They, being so obvious, truly affect EVERY single encounter I have.

3. Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Goodness.

And I… let’s go with me identifying as female.

4. Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? As of writing this, four.

2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? Both shoulders, left calf, and chest. I can hide them if need be.

3. What is their content? One is a girl sitting on a skull (my design). One is an ankh with the heiroglyph for “house”. One is a tribal looking rat with Celtic knotwork). One is a yin/yang with x’s in place of the dots and devil’s horns, wings, and tail (my design)

4. Why did you get them? Because I wanted them.

5. What is their meaning to you? The rat one is because I love my rats. The yin/yang devil one has to do with the fact that Negativity is a necessity in order to have Positivity, and is healthy in itself. Devils(originally conceived as forces of nature) are wrongly vilified, as is Negativity, femininity, etc. The heiroglyphs combined translate to “House of Life”, roughly. The girl w/ skull is just something I drew a long time ago.

6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? I don’t know. They’re pretty common by now. They can be conversation starters. There are still some people who view women with tattoos negatively, but I consider them boring yuppies not worth my time. When I still needed a “straight” job I kept them covered, but even then I never worked anywhere seriously corporate enough for it to matter much. And if you’re working creative jobs you have a little more leeway.

7. Do you identify as male or female? Female.

5. Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

1. 3 tattoos. In the past: multiple piercings.

2. Where are they located? right foot. left foot. right forearm. They CAN be easy to hide, but wearing flip-flops exposes my feet and anything not long-sleeved exposes my arm.

3. RFoot: the Giving Tree kid catching the apple. LFoot: a blue kite with seven red bows and Family on the side of it. LForearm: “Farther on down the road, you will accompany me.” in typewriter style.

4. All of them have significant meaning. I also thought about each one for about 3 years before getting them.

5. Giving Tree: it was my favorite book. The kite: All of the women in my family have tattoos for my family on their feet (all of theirs match and I hate them). So the red bows on the kite string are my immediate family members. Forearm: phrase from a Taj Mahal song. Chapter title from Girl Interrupted. I have a semi-open adoption with my kid I had in 2004. It’s a hopeful tattoo.

6. Usually people enjoy them. They’re simple and easily explained (though I don’t mention the kid part) so it’s not like people have to stare to understand what they are. I did have a college professor pull me up in front of a business class and tell me that I will never get a decent job with all of these markings on my body. I sent him an email expressing my outrage, got a B in the class and never went again.

7. Female

6. Posted October 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

12 tattoos, 00 gauged ear piercings

2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? 3. What is their content?
    left foot- identification number – easy to hide
    left heel/ankle – chi rho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho) – easy to hide with pants, not shorts or socks
    left thigh- Greek Orthodox Cross – totally hidden
    left hip bone – star with texas in it – hidden
    right hip bone – ancient “stamp” of the name of Gabriel – hidden
    left ribcage – a blue snowflake about palm sized – hidden
    right ribcage to hip – Psalm 41:4 in latin – hidden
    chest- white ink “arete” written in greek – its very faint and low enough to be hidden
    left back shoulder: rosary – hidden in a tshirt, not most formal dresses
    center of back (more than palm size): anatomically correct heart done as sacred heart – ditto
    right back shoulder: 2 lines of a poem “bullets tear guiltlessly/through paper people” in memory of a friend – ditto
    right arm half sleeve – Rublev’s Icon of the Trinity – hidden with half or 3 quarter sleeve shirts, very little “pokes out” in most shirts I wear.

4. Why did you get them? 5. What is their meaning to you?
    The primary reason I have tattoos is because they mark my body as mine. It is no longer a canvas for others to imagine and impose their restrictions on me. If you want me as a “fantasy”, you have to engage with me as I have created myself. It’s been an amazingly positive way to reclaim my body from feeling owned by everyone else.

1. as a reminder of what it meant to lose my name and become a number
    2. a personal “always striving” motto, as well as a reminder that I dedicate my body to something besides just myself (but it is still mine to give, mark and dedicate, never ‘owned’ by someone else)
    3. It’s my favorite cross because it has the title on top, which makes the whole scene… less like jewelry, but not as graphic as a crucifixion
    4. Texas is the closest thing I’ve ever had to home.
    5. Personal religious belief. Gabriel has always been the messenger to humankind from God.
    6. It’s the symbol of my grandparents hometown.
    7. It’s the psalm of lament “Lord have Mercy on me and Heal me, for I have sinned against you.”
    8. It is the highest form of “virtue” recognized by the greeks (although it was quite often applied to war heros and was generally a civic virtue, not a religious one) and something to strive for.
    9. I’m Catholic and have a deep devotion to Mary. I also loved the ritual in the rosary. It was my first tattoo, I was 16.
    10. I used to live near a church of the sacred heart, and I loved how often it was used in art work, but I’ve always been a science/mathy person as well. I wanted to incorporate my balance between faith, art and science, so I came up with this.
    11. The lines were written by a close friend and tattooed in honor of the mark she’s made on my life as well as in memory of a close friend I went to college with who killed himself summer after graduation.
    12. I actually had 3rd degree burns on my arm from a high school service industry job accident and in summers, the scar lines would stay white and being the outdoorsy type, it was always a really uncomfortable tan line that I was self conscious about when people asked. I’ve always believed that the internal relationships of the trinity as community was something that people should strive for- to be so close to eachother as to (nearly, at least) be one. Goes along with the scripture that says “have joy with those who rejoice, morn with those who morn” type of idea. So, if people were going to stare anyway, I might as well have something I want them looking at.

They have really never caused any professional ramifications for me. As for how they affect other people, my mother still tells me that she wants to cry every time she sees them because I “destroyed my beauty”, a small few of my sorority sisters were revolted when I got my half sleeve as it was just “too bold”, and occasionally random men come up and tell me they don’t like women with tattoos. Which is fine, because I have no interest in random people who feel carte blanch entitled to share their judgement on my body. There have probably been a few friendships that never grew as close because the other person involved really couldn’t get past the cultural uncomfort of being seen with me, being a tattooed working class woman, which has somewhat disappointed me.

female

7. Posted October 20, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

1. No tattoos. I have my ears pierced. I have one hole in each ear.
    2. Ears.
    3. Only applies to tattoos, really
    4. I was six and I thought ear piercings were neat.
    5. Not much. It is convient to have them done for so long because they don’t close up if I go for long periods without wearing earings, but they aren’t too significant.
    6. I think it can affect how people take my gender presentation as an earing in each ear or dangly earings is generally coded as feminine in US culture.
    7. Neither, but I was raised as a girl if that helps contextualize the ease of obtaining ear piercings so young.

8. athelas
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

1. One piercing in each earlobe.
    2. Earlobes – not very obvious but not something I ever have to hide.
    3. I tend to wear either small precious earrings given to me by family (eg gold hoops, pearls) or colourful, big earrings.
    4. Got them when I turned 13, I think as a kind of rite of passage – it made me feel grown up and like a woman. My mum decided that age was old enough to be appropriate. Also it was just what one did and I liked the huge number of earrings in the shops – onset of consumer frenzy?!
    5. I am more thoughtful about it these days. I’m not sure why, but pierced ears do seem like something that marks me as a woman and a member of my culture. I’m not sure if that’s problematic or not…? Also I quite like to dress in a colourful way and I like the way earrings shed light on the face and highlight my neck. I’m starting to think a lot about symbolism – for example, I have a set of rose jewelry which for me represents bodily integrity, natural beauty, femininity and love, and a pair of cats which mean independence, mystery and the night.
    6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? It probably just fits in with my general style which is quite colourful and feminine, so is part of that as a whole. I’ve only ever had one comment on earrings from a man (I’m straight) and that was were my pearls real? (he’s a banker!)

9. Posted October 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

I only have 2, one in each ear.

Ear lobes and yes, very easy to hide.

N/A

4. Why did you get them?
    Growing up I was a tomboy so I thought that if I had pierced ears then maybe I would be somewhat “girly”. I thought that they would make me feel different but they didn’t.

I actually forget that I have pierced ears, I don’t wear earrings at all. I’m allergic to all the cheap stuff and I refuse to buy the pricier stuff.

They don’t affect the way other people view me.

Cis female

10. Posted October 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

8 piercings total. No tattoos, yet.
    Two are in my left ear lobe, three in my right ear lobe and one in my right cartilage. I also have nose and naval piercings. The only one that I can hide while wearing the jewelry is the belly button. I can take my nose jewelry out, and it’s hardly noticeable, as well.
    I currently have studs in one of the holes in my right earlobe and in the cartilage piercing. I have a barbell in my naval, and a nasal screw in my nose. I will also sometimes wear rings in my nose, and dangle-ly earrings from the first holes in my lobes.
    4. Why did you get them?
    I initially got two holes in each ear lobe as a young teenager because I thought they were cute. My sister managed to convince my dad at 16 to let her get her naval pierced, so when I was 16 I did the same because I thought it was cute and sexy, and I wanted to be like my big sis. I got my nose piercing at 19 when a guy I had been dating for several years left me for someone else. I wanted to do something I knew he wouldn’t approve of, but I actually really like it despite its less than noble origins. I got the last hole in my right lobe, and the cartilage piercing about 6 months later. I had always thought they were cute, but had never gotten around to getting them before.
    Its really just cute jewelry to me. There is some sense of rebellion, but in this day and age, most people aren’t phased by them.
    6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? On a few occasions, my boyfriend has asked me to remove my nose piercing if it was a ring because some friends of his parents were coming over, and his parents had already expressed some disapproval over my visible piercings. While a screw would have been okay, the ring was a little too “out there”.

Female

11. Posted October 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you SO MUCH for your replies, everyone. They’re incredibly interesting and they are really helpful for my project. I find the topic fascinating, and I loved reading your answers to the questions.

I’m sorry I only asked if you all identify as male or female though — I should have included a “neither” option.

• Posted October 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I find that “Gender identification?” is about the best way to handle that. We’re so used to checking a box for sex/gender, but when you don’t have to specify options, better not to bother rather than try to make sure you have all the bases covered.

12. Posted October 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

To provide you with both, here is for me and my partner.

1/2. I have one hole in each earlobe. No gauging. Easy to hide when they’re removed– they don’t close, and the holes are pinpricks.
    He has one hole in his left earlobe– 14 gauge. He doesn’t bother to hide it but could theoretically remove it if needed. He has long hair, so he already looks like he’d be wearing an earring anyway.
    3. I usually don’t put anything in them unless I’m dressing up; he wears a blue ring earring with a ball at all times.
    4. I got them because I wanted to wear earrings; I liked jewelry a lot as a teenager and wore it constantly. He got it because he liked the earring look on men.
    5. Both of us view our piercings as purely jewelry.
    6. For me, they don’t. I remove them most of the time because I work a dangerous job with machinery running and all but the tiniest earrings are a hazard, and tiny earrings get lost. When dressed up, I think they make me seem more feminine and less practical looking.
    For him, it’s hard to tell what’s the earring and what’s his long hair, but I think he comes across as the artsy type, which he wants as a writer. His dad doesn’t like the earring and complains sometimes, but in a good-natured way.
    7. I identify as female; he, as male.

13. Posted October 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? 7 Piercings and 2 tattoos.

2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? I have four piercings in my ears that no one cares about. My nose ring is pretty standard stuff where I live. My septum ring, I’ve started either flipping up or taking out entirely, since I’m in the office most of my time. Belly button, easy to hide. I have on tattoo on my right shoulder, but at work I always wears sleeves or cardigans. The other tattoo is on my spine, and is also easy to hide… though the top often peaks out of the top of my shirts. When I’m not at work, though, I am constantly trying to find the flattering top or dress that shows off both. ;)

3. What is their content? The tattoo on my shoulder is a blue bird, and the tattoo on my spinal column is sheet music (minus the bar lines)

4. Why did you get them? I’ve always been fascinated with body modifications and I think that they can be expressive and beautiful. It probably helps that both of my parents are inked, so it never seemed like something super “taboo” (except maybe the septum ring)

5. What is their meaning to you? The music on my spinal column is because I am a musician and music is an inextricable part of my life. The Bird is an updated version of the tattoo my mother got when she was my age: I got it done shortly after she died as a memorial piece.

6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? Professionally, my piercing and tattoo responses have run the gamut. At my first corporate job, I had an office manager ask me never to wear my septum ring while with clients, I had a co-worker tell me she thought it was ugly (and my tattoo as well), but I also had a director that chided me for being a sell-out when I didn’t wear my septum ring! He thought it was pretty wicked. Mostly, people don’t say anything, though. I have some friends that are pretty anti-body mods, but that still helped me lotion up my tattoos when they were fresh, so it never affected my close relationships. The thing that has changed though is that people now feel entitled to touch me (my tattoos) when I’m in public spaces where they are visible (I’m talking about you, Zach Werner from Canadian Idol!!). Since one is on a sensitive part of my back, it’s a little creepy. I’m sure I have a small idea of how pregnant women feel when everyone wants to touch their belly. But to sum up, it hasn’t lost me any friends nor caused me any serious problems professionally. We’ll see what happens when I get my half sleeve, though. I figure that’ll be harder for people to ignore.

7. Do you identify as male or female? Female, most of the time.

• Posted October 20, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I didn’t really talk about the piercings!

I got the two in my lobes, because that’s what girls do. My mom took me when I was about 11 or 12, and they got horribly infected and I hated them. Turns out I was allergic to the cheap metal. Even though we were really poor, my mom spent the extra money on surgical steel posts. I think they were the demarcation that I was becoming a grown woman.

The two in the cartilage of my ears I got done because I was 16 and thought they were cool. Got them done at the same time and found I couldn’t sleep without cupping my ears. Dumb! One at a time, people!

My nose ring I got done at a house party when I was 14. Some younger girls were doing it, so on a lark, I said if they were brave enough to pierce theirs, I would do it too. I thought they would chicken out…

Navel ring. Another lark. My mom and I talked about getting it done together. Now, I really wish we had. I remember her being a little bummed when I did it myself.

Septum ring I got because I thought it would impress a guy I was seeing on and off for all of eternity, and I thought they were badass. It didn’t. But I ended up really liking it anyway.

They’re all standard gauge, and the only complaints I ever get is about the septum ring,, but I hardly wear it anymore anyway.

14. Posted October 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty boring in this respect, but for what it’s worth…

1. One tattoo, zero piercings.
    2. Right shoulder, high enough to be hidden by almost any short-sleeve shirt.
    3. A small orange dragon (Chinese-style) gripping a yin-yang in its claws.
    4. When I was 21, several of us decided to get tats, and I like dragons and yin-yangs. Got a couple pieces of stock art melded together to make the design.
    5. The idea of balance has always sort of naturally held my attention, thus the yin-yang. And I’ve always thought Chinese dragons were aesthetically awesome, even if they’re cliche as tattoos.
    6. Minimally. Almost everyone I know has a tattoo somewhere, and although I’ve considered adding to mine for years, I’ve yet to do it, so no one perceives me as being different or odd (at least, not for that reason). I’m the only non-Asian person I know with Asian culture-based ink, but few people make note of it. Mainly they notice that’s it’s only of average quality.
    7. Male.

15. Posted October 20, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? 1 tattoo
    2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? on my lowest back because she is easy to hide
    3. What is their content? she is a fairy
    4. Why did you get them? i got her as a reminder of where i cam from and what i have experienced in this life
    5. What is their meaning to you? deeply personal
    6. In what ways, if any, have the tattoo/s or piercings affected the way other people, whether in casual or professional relationships, view you? i have had no negative reactions in casual settings about her, but I had one employer treat me very differently after HE found out I had a tattoo.

7. Do you identify as male or female? female

16. Posted October 21, 2010 at 7:42 am | Permalink

1. How many tattoos or piercings do you have? Two piercings

2. Where are they located? Are they easy to hide? One in each ear. They don’t stand out.

Right now? Some plain studs.

4. Why did you get them?
    Because all the girls had theirs pierced when they were kids, so of course I wanted mine pierce too. Plus I really wanted a pair of earrings with blue birds on them which I thought were beautiful.

We used to play a card game when we were kids, which involved passing secret messages. One of the messages required twisting an earring. Now twisting my earring is a semiconscious habit which I do so often that I have calluses on my finger tips. I usually play with them when I’m feeling pensive.
    Also, all of my earring (and most of the rest of my jewelry) have stories associated with them. I know where, how, and why I ended up with each piece. The pair I’m wearing now I brought because I was going overseas and needed something discrete, but gained additional significance when my sister complimented me on them.
    Perhaps it is also relevant to point out what my lack of other body art means to me. I would like to get my stomach pierced, but never felt like it was flat enough, I would like to get my tongue pierced but never felt brave enough, and I would like to get a tattoo, but am too indecisive to ever settle for a permanent feature.

My piercings are fairly conventional so they have minimal impact on how others see me. I have however been given earrings as gifts on multiple occasions, and these express something of what the other person thinks of me.

Good luck with your assignment. It sounds fascinating!

17. Posted October 25, 2010 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I have 2 tattoos currently, and four holes in each ear. I want/have plans for more of both.
    The ear piercings are generally not an issue for hiding, since it’s not a terribly unconventional location. My first tattoo is on my right ankle, so only shows in shorts/skirts, and the second is on my lower back which generally stays hidden as long as I’m clothed.
    The ankle tattoo is a scorpio sign, the lower back is a tribal design that reads “Namaste.” My piercings usually just have silver hoops in them.
    4. Why did you get them?
    Because I wanted to be able to wear earings. When I was little I desperately wanted to be able to wear pierced earings, but my parents made me earn them through good grades, and I finally got the first ones in 4th grade. I got the next ones just because I liked the look of multiple ear piercings.

Later, because I wanted a safe outlet for wanting to savor voluntary pain and shake out of a stupor I was feeling, I got the fourth hole (first cartilage piercing.) I skipped blissfully all the way home afterwards while my ears buzzed warm with a smile on my face.

I wanted the tattoos because I like tattoos and wanted the symbolism embedded on my earthly vessel.
    Piercings don’t have any particular meaning beyond asthetics, my tattoos I have a rule about only tattooing designs that I have made myself (I’m a visual artist and work in a lot of different kinds of media.) The scorpio is my zodiac sign, and it’s been helpful in my spiritual growth to come to terms with a lot of the intense and demanding energy that brings in my life and spirit. It’s not something that is ever going to change or leave me, so that’s why I chose it as my first tattoo. “Namaste” means roughly “the divine in me bows to the divine in you,” and I like that level of acknoledgement of equality and spirit dwelling within in all creatures.

A lot of the time, I feel the compulsion to get new tattoos as a way of symbolically shedding layers and old leaves, like the trees do in fall. I have plans for a pheonix design to commemorate the ending of my marriage.
    My mother was bewildered by my last piercing and my tattoos, mostly because of the pain I guess. My ex-husband called my second tattoo a “tramp stamp” and suggested it reflected some very negative qualities about me to have chosen such a location… I’ve never really noticed any other reactions, I’ve been kind of blessed that so far the locations are hidable for work environments that look down on visible tattoos, and/or that I have a job that doesn’t take issue with body-mods.

Female.

• Posted October 25, 2010 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Oh, I guess I could also add, that I did a tattoo design for my ex also ages back, his first tattoo. It’s kind of odd to think about now, that my art is on his body, but it doesn’t bother me too terribly much because it was just a request of his, not anything personal to me. There’s always a bit of bonding that happens when you have to get someone else to assist you with aftercare on fresh tattoos, so I think that I would be wary of my choices if I had no one around to rely on to help take care of a new one.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Subscribe

• Subscribe

• Meet Us

224 queries. 1.717 seconds