VIDEO: “Girls shouldn’t have ideas.”

If girls have ideas, they will scare boys away and end up alone.  I just learned this from an abstinence-only-until-marriage program called “Choosing the Best.”

According to the program’s own website, “Choosing the Best” has reached more than 3 million young people in the United States.  The federal coverment currently spends more than $900,000 to teach this progam in shcools.

This is Part Two in our weekly video series highlighting actual lessons from actual abstinence-only-until-marriage programs.  With your help, Part One (“Drink the Spit”) has been viewed more than 40,000 times on YouTube in the past week — and the count is still rising.  Thousands of people have seen the video on Facebook and it has been featured on dozens of websites and blogs.

And just this morning, a national radio show on DC station Hot 99.5 did a full ten minute segment about this video — including a call-in discussion with listeners about the outrageous content and harmful messages of abstinence-only programs.

We can’t thank you enough for all your help spreading the word about this series!  We hope you enjoy this new installment just as much.  As always, feel free to share it far and wide…

SHARE.

Here’s the direct YouTube link for Facebook and Twitter sharing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwJvgKTTjw

And if you’d prefer the bit.ly version, here you go: http://bit.ly/dQAyIi

TAKE ACTION.

Tell Congress to finally end all funding for abstinence-only-until-marriage programs.  Click here to contact Congress today.

and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted December 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

How absolutely moronic! Me and all the other women I know working in creative fields (art, writing, etc.) it’s part of our JOB to come up with ideas all the time! Yet I and many other women creatives I know are happily partnered. Therefore simply looking around me, the notion that men will be scared off by women who have ideas is completely specious.

Thanks for posting the petition link. We were both more than happy to sign it. What a wonderful IDEA!!!!

2. Posted December 8, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Aw, Jesus, they had us do some like this in my freshman year of high school (about seven years ago). In health class, my teacher had an abstinence-only motivational speaker come in to talk to us (at the behest of the school, I’m sure—our teacher actually made certain we knew about all forms of contraception another day). She (the speaker) couldn’t have been more than twenty-four. For one activity, she had us all chew up an Oreo cookie and then spit it into a cup of water. Can you guess what that represented (major eyeroll)? For another, she had us take a piece of Scotch tape and stick it and restick it to each of our arms until it lost its adhesiveness.

It was disgusting, offensive, and stupid. I knew this even at fourteen/fifteen, but I didn’t yet have the words to convey my feelings, so I laughed.

• Posted December 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

*something like this

I definitely e-mailed and made sure to share my experience. This crap has to end now.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Subscribe

• Subscribe

• Meet Us

169 queries. 0.529 seconds