ESPN Discusses Title IX

Originally posted at Female Impersonator
This makes me really happy:

To celebrate Women’s History Month, ESPN is discussing Title IX in a three-part video series. The series features female sports writers and coaches talking about the impact of Title IX, the pros and cons that have developed from it, its influence on their own careers, and its impact on gender notions.

For more information and a link to the site where you can watch the videos, click here.

and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this link, Victoria. This will be a great resource for the Gender Studies class I’m teaching in the fall!

2. Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Sort of the thing with ESPN (owned by Disney) is that, like its parent corporation, it can sort of sense where mainstream thought is, and it focuses its content accordingly. When it comes to Title IX, there is mixed feelings about it, so this fortunately gives the program more breadth in coverage.

Jemele Hill’s quote on the blog discusses a major issue:

“What they don’t often talk about in those controversies is how one of the reasons that the men’s sports were eliminated is because the big revenue male sports, such as football, overspend. And that has a lot to do with why those sports are eliminated and I think that Title IX and women’s sports just became an easy target.”

Football and men’s basketball programs overspend (football in particular since there are just so many costs associated with it), and it is often supported with the argument that these programs generate revenue and prestige for the university (an argument that carries relevance when it comes to the “power conferences,” which concerns ~66 schools in the upcoming years, plus a few others that are relevant because of their past performance, expectations, schedules, and reputation). Sports programs do not just face issues of fair treatment on the basis of the sex of their participants, but also based on the economic “class” of the program, and while other sports pose some financial issues, football is pretty much in a class by itself.

I wish I would have come up with a more concrete statement, but football makes things really complicated because of its unique combination as a sport that is highly successful and also quite costly per participant.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

171 queries. 0.579 seconds