“Glitter Bombs” for Equality?…

Cross-Posted at Not Your Average Feminist

First it was Newt Gingrich…

Then it was Pawlenty…

And yesterday, Michelle Bachman became the latest receiver of the glitter shower.

The glitterings seem to only be related in the sense that the first incident inspired other individuals to act independently, but the latest video of the glittering calls for people everywhere to join the “glitterati movement.” While the first person to throw glitter was not involved with GetEqual, the organization is now asking for others to “Get Equal” with glitter.

I literally can’t decide how I feel about throwing glitter on politicians. A part of me thinks it’s hilarious and harmless and bringing much needed attention to some anti-queer happenings, but another part of me can’t help but feel that it will ultimately hurt queer political efforts. Some are calling the glitter showers “glitter bombs” and categorizing them as assaults.

The latest glitter protester explains the reasons behind her actions:

How do you feel about it?

and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I have to say that I view this act as anti-progressive and hypocritical. “Hilarious” doesn’t cut it when it comes to determining whether or not something is okay. “Harmless” or not, this is still a gross violation of personal space.

I think it’s absurd that I should ever even have cause to say this on a feminist web site, but here it is: throwing things at people isn’t okay.

2. Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I think the answer is deceptively simple: would you approve of this if it were in protest AGAINST homosexuality? If not, the tactic’s flawed. Golden rule.

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I would. On the other hand, I come from a country whose leader got a pie to the face, and where another party leader had chocolate milk thrown on him.

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I disagree. I don’t think one’s political position is carte blanche for getting stuff thrown at you.

3. Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

I do see them as aggressive, but I don’t really mind that. I think sometimes a poltical situation that is hurting people calls for a bit of that, but I just don’t really think they’re that effective. I suppose if the purpose is to get media attention, then they are doing that.

I like the idea of them a more then how they play out. I think it might be better if they weren’t right in someones face, because that is a bit full on and doesn’t make it more effective.

• Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I feel the same way Zoe feels. It’s a little harmless dissidence and it’s called for in times like these. Everyone’s so afraid to take a step, take a stand, challenge the status quo. I remember seeing footage from, I think the 60′s? Anita Bryant took a pie in the face for her anti gay rights activity. Civil disobedience used to be just that, not simply talking on your blog about how you don’t like it.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Subscribe

• Subscribe

• Meet Us

182 queries. 0.417 seconds