Most sexual assaults are not reported. Sexual assaults reported to campus security are rarely reported to the police. Colleges are left to investigate and respond according to their own, often lenient or ill-defined, standards. Victims of unreported sexual assault rarely receive appropriate post-trauma care.
The Campus Sexual Violence Elimination (SaVE) Act would require that college campuses respond to reports of sexual violence in a responsible manner.
Support the Campus SaVE Act. This bill recently gained more sponsors. The seven Senators supporting the bill (in chronological order):
- Robert Casey (D-PA), 4/14/2011
- Patty Murray (D-WA), 4/14/2011
- Olympia Snowe (R-ME), 6/9/2011
- Richard Durbin (D-IL), 6/14/2011
- Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), 6/21/2011
- Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), 6/23/2011
- Jon Tester (D-MT), 6/27/2011
Write to your U.S. Senator to ask them to co-sponsor this non-partisan bill. Congratulate your Senator if they have already showed support with sponsorship.
Help Stop Sexual Violence on Campus with AAUW’s Senator contact form.