The MYTH of Feminism

The biggest common debate that I hear against feminism from men, and women alike is by far that these feminist want to be treated equal, but they don’t want to pay for dates, and they want guys to open doors for them etc.

Honestly, I’m tired of hearing it.

Being a feminist does not mean that I want womyn to be dominant over men. I’d actually fully reject this idea. It means that I feel that women and men are equal.

Contrary to Beyonce’s belief system, I don’t want a world ruled by girls.

I don’t want a world ruled by any sex.

Feminism works to remove systems of domination, and oppression in our society, which includes, but is not limited to racism, classism, and homophobia.

Now, I suppose you want me to go more in depth about the meaning of Feminism.

Well, I can’t, because that’s all it is. That’s it.

About womyn wanting equal rights, but not doing all that other stuff:

I, as a feminist, want equal rights socially, and legally for both men and womyn.

I do not view opening doors or paying for dates as something to be desired in a male. I see it as a sign of politeness, and I don’t mind doing these things for anyone regardless of their gender or sex.

I open doors for my guy friends, I buy them things, I pay for food, too. This is friendship, or a relationship. This is being polite, and should not be limited to just guys.

The problem is that when I do these things, men often complain that they feel emasculated.

So this isn’t just our fault, it’s yours, too!

The bigger problem is that somehow this gets thrown in with feminism. There is no feminist code that says (as Steve Harvey put it) “Act like a lady, think like a man.”

We don’t go around craving chivalry and we don’t condemn it, either.

Honestly, the girls who most align with the ideals of wanting equal rights, but wanting guys to do traditional masculine things aren’t feminists, or a feminists who haven’t researched feminism.

Feminists KNOW the strict social bind put onto males, and we work to end that form of oppression.

I am a feminist. This means that I want to see a professional girls’ football team just as much as I want to see a professional boys’ cheerleading team (and I kind of want to see boys’ cheerleading more).

I’m not just fighting for womyn’s rights. I’m fighting for men and women to be treated as equals in all aspects of life. So that guys can be nurses without question, and girls can have lots of sex with many people without being called into question.

I feel that chivalry is for both genders, and is should really just be called being polite.

and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

5 Comments

1. Posted December 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Pixie,

I find very little to disagree with in your list.

I have a question: would you campaign to raise women’s retiremtn age to that of men? To even higher, given a woman’s longer life expectancy?

A comment? I thought the spelling ‘womyn’ died in the seventies.

• Posted December 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I honestly can’t say anything on the retirement issue, because I haven’t researched it, but I will be looking into it now!
      About me using ‘womyn’ I like the idea of ladies not being seen as an extension of men. It’s annoying. I,m 19 years old, so I don’t really know about the term dying out, but I still see it a lot. I think it’s cool! ^_^
      Thank you!

• Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Every person should have the same retirement options, but I can’t see a longer life span as a justification of an older retirement age. It makes practical sense to have more money if you live longer, but the retirement age is for people deemed elderly enough for it to be the humane thing to do to let them retire, since work would become a lot more difficult. Of course, some people are poor enough that they can’t just retire when they’re old enough. It’s such an individual issue for everyone that it shouldn’t be blanketed with average life span, some women will live shorter, some men will live longer. Also, the life span between men and women is closing.

• Posted December 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I have to disagree here.

A retirment age is based on economics: how long does one have to work in order to sustain a pension in retirement.

If life expectancy goes up, as is the case now, then the period of employment has to go up too. This increase is being implemented across Europe (see the UK, Switzerland, Germany, etc.).

This increase is across the board; individual health or life expectancy is not taken into account.

Traditionally, women retire earlier. Even though they live longer. There is no logic there, at all.

Probably for political reasons. If women are allowed to continue to retire earlier, then they are beinf subsidised by men; men work longer and will get a pension for fewer years (since they die earlier).

If Pixie seeks equality, then she has to agree that women should retire no earlier than men, and it could be argued that they should work longer, since they must accumulate a pension to last longer than men’s.

2. Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I love this post! It annoys the heck out of me when I can’t explain this to anti-feminists.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

172 queries. 0.562 seconds