HPV Vaccines for Boys, Not Girls: Why We Refuse to Save Girls’ Lives

Now that Michele Bachmann is out of the race, we can look at some of the effects she had on national discourse. One of her most memorable moments was when she said — with no proof, on national TV – that HPV vaccines cause mental retardation.

Then, recently, NPR had a story on how the HPV vaccine for boys seems to have been better received than it was for girls.

The damage done by Bachmann’s statements is difficult to gauge. But the fact that the same vaccine that is so controversial for girls might be acceptable for boys of the same age is, at the very least, disturbing.

When we hear about lethal gender discrimination, we think of countries like Ethiopia, where, as NYT’s columnist Nicholas Kristof retells, when resources are low, girls are starved in favor of their brothers. But the same is happening here, where parents are so disturbed by the notion of their daughters having sex, that they rather they get cancer (or any other STD for that matter), than have them vaccinated. How crazy is this?

and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

This is completely unfair to girls and young women in our nation. Whatever happened to people caring about their child’s health and well being?

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I competley agree! I am very glad that I had a Mom who encouraged me to get the HPV vaccine =). I will encourage my future daughter to do so as well. The fact that anyone would try to dispute a womans right to protect herself from cervical cancer is completley beyond me. Being able to take care of one’s health, free from gender discrimination, is a basic human right.

2. Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Say What??????????????

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

175 queries. 0.659 seconds