Male feministing bloggers?

I’m starting a post to ask a question that has been on my mind for some time now…

As an avid feministing reader I am continually grateful for all of the knowledge, experiences, and backgrounds that each of the editing and contributing staff bring to us every day. I can honestly say that my own life has been positively shaped by the bloggers here. Every blogger uses their own background and world-view to enhance our collective understanding of gender and prompt relevant discussions through the comment threads.

I also understand that women are typically underrepresented in many aspects of life that seek to define our culture. This blog  recognizes that there is a gender disparity in our legal system, in traditional journalism, in theatre & film, and in the number of CEO’s nation wide (the list goes on…)

I was just curious as to why there aren’t ANY men on the regular Feministing editing/contributing team. I wholeheartedly believe that in order to have a generative discussion about gender, we need at least one person (which in my opinion should be the bare minimum) who identifies as male to have a voice. Yes, I understand that men have voices in so many other areas of our lives (even about women’s bodies, and women’s rights) but as feminists who believe in gender equality, this blog should not be the exception to the rule. We continue to argue for women/minority representation in other relevant discussions, and strangely have created a gender disparity within the Feministing walls.

I’m not suggesting that there be a male blogger to simply play devil’s advocate. I know there are many feminist men who would bring a balanced and genuine perspective to the wide range of Feministing readers.

Perhaps this post is unjustified and there is a rational reason behind why Feministing is lacking a prominent male blogger. Perhaps this topic has been addressed already. (Or perhaps there ARE male bloggers, and I missed the boat completely, in which case, I apologize.) I thought it would be, at the very least, fitting to spark some discussion on the topic.

Any thoughts?

and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 27, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

I think the reason that feministing does not have a cis-gender male contributor is many of the cis-gender have a different view of feminism than many feminist.

Aside from that, many feminsting commentators are just downright hostile to males.

I know from my own experiences when I was a frequent commentator here that often I my views would be slammed as sexist.

I remember a while back the editors implemented a voting system were you could vote positive or negative a comment and the net score was presented. Green numbers meant the comment was well received, and red negatively received.

Often my comments were red. I was accused of being a troll, MRA, etc, and I would point to a similar comment by feminsting commentators on the same thread that substantially agreed with me who were by their femisting alias female or androgynous. Their comments would be green.

Perhaps not as large in magnitude as other comments on the thread, but the reception would still be positive, and I would comment on the discrepancy.

I was told point blank that by coming into a feminist space with a male name I was going to be putting people off.

That’s right, for using the name my mother gave me in a feminist space I was going to alienate feminist. Regardless of the feminist citations I could provide that were in agreement with what I was saying.

There were of course commentators that, though they may not agree with me, were supportive of my right to comment and be free from slanders the overall tone was uninviting.

I think many feminist have a perception of themselves that they have transcended sexism and are free of groupthink. But I think that is not the case. They are human, they can be sexist, and that is why they do not have have male feminist bloggers.

Hell, many probably reserve the title of feminist for females and would call the male you speak of as a feminist ally.

2. Posted January 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

…I agree with Steven’s comment to some degree.

In my late teens and twenties I considered myself to be a feminist, but I stopped when I hit my thirties because the Feminist community has always come across as quite hostile to many, if not all men.

While I often support what I would call the Feminist perspective on things, I also disagree with it many times, especially when it comes to things like: humor or even understanding the dominant cis hetero culture that has been around forever. You definitely don’t have to agree with the way things are, but at least acknowledge how and why the world functions as it does, which is largely shaped by money and power at all levels of life. ( very hard to escape from this reality )

There has also been this consistent underlying theme that Feminism is a womens movement, and men will only be tolerated at best.

I also find that many Feminists have a million different definitions of what Feminism is, and that sometimes they are completely at odds with each other, so the label of “Feminist” can mean almost anything today.

3. Posted February 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Eugene & Steven

Thanks for your perspective. I really appreciate your insight, and I’m very sorry to hear that some women have treated you with hostility, instead of valuing the background and views that you bring to our ongoing feminist dialogue.

In my mission to discover my own definition to feminism and equality, I simply cannot understand why this discussion doesn’t come up more often. It’s unfortunate that there needs to be a division between how others perceive our contributions based on our gender.

It’s a little frightening that groupthink is so pervasive.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

173 queries. 0.413 seconds