A Feminist Craft

In my spare time I like to craft, paint abstracts, create.  I blog about my projects because it’s such a welcome outlet for my creativity and a nice break from the “real world”.  I’ve garnered quite a bit of attention in blogland for my DIY (do-it-yourself) projects and decided to use the popularity for a little feminist activism. I NEEDED to because I felt I wasn’t always being a very good feminist in blog my content.  Using a stencil, I stenciled this warning onto a secondhand mirror:

“WARNING: Reflections in this mirror may be distorted by socially constructed idea of ‘beauty’.”

Success! Making all of my readers think a little bit, while they’re checking out a fun DIY project.

Here’s the link: A Feminist DIY Mirror Project

Now I want to take that stencil and spray paint the message onto every mirror I see. That’s legal, right?

and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted May 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I ordered my stencil from StencilsOnline.com. They liked my project so much they will be hosting a giveaway on my blog (dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com) in the next few weeks. But any custom stencil place can make one of these easily and cheaply. The more industrial the applications typically are (vs. home decor themed) the better the prices will be.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

163 queries. 0.367 seconds