Suggestions for teen feminist books?

I don’t know exactly where the right place to post this is. I have a 15 year old sister and I’d really love to get her interested in feminism. She’s very smart but I worry that she doesn’t have enough feminist role models. When I was 12 years old, I was walking in the grocery store and an older guy (about 20 maybe) made a comment about my “ass.” It was the first time I remember that happening and I felt embarrassed, dirty, ashamed and scared. Its a feeling most women know well and learn very early. My little sister is getting to that age (passed it really), and I want her to understand how wrong that is when it happens to her (and it will) and that its not her fault. I was inspired by reading http://www.everydaysexism.com/ and wanted to protect her from all these thing that happen to women and girls everyday. Then I realized that I can’t do that but I hope to get her thinking about sexism and other feminist issues. I’m looking for books that will interest her that deal with feminist issues (not specifically/only sexual harassment), both narrative stories and informational books. I’m thinking something like “He’s a Stud, She’s a Slut and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know” by Jessica Valenti, but maybe more aimed at teens. Any suggestions? Or suggestions for getting her interested in feminist issues in general? I just want to pique her interest so she can continue from there. I would so appreciate it. Thanks!

and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted April 28, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Full Frontal Feminism (also Valenti), or a subscription to Bitch?

Feminist zines might also be interesting, since you could pick up a variety for very little money. You could even start with a few free ones downloaded/printed from Philly’s Pissed (mostly talking about consent and the like) to see if your sister is interested in that format.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Subscribe

• Subscribe

• Meet Us

165 queries. 0.274 seconds